Well, it sure has been whirlwind for the last couple of weeks. My French Counterpart and I had to travel to California for a week, then home to Florida for a week to perform interviews of other peers trying to find best practices.
I will have to say it was a little weird leaving Paris that Friday morning. The company provided a private car and driver to take me to the airport so I had time to look out on the city as we weaved our way through the back streets toward the airport. I guess the drive took that route to avoid the freeway traffic, it was after all 0900, and all good Parisians know it is very fashionable to be just a bit late.
As I watch the buildings and parks, I couldn't help but wonder what it is about this place that has worked it's way into my blood. The city is pretty dirty, the people as a whole are what we Americans would call rude, or at least selfish. But there is something magical about Paris, and as I was leaving to go home, I couldn't help worry that I would miss the bursting of spring. Already a few of the trees in the park had flowers, and the weather had turned warmer than in the past few weeks. They say the springtime in Paris is "the" time to be here.
California was surprisingly cool, there was even snow in the mountains and the wind had blown the sky clear to give us a great view. We toured Hollywood, Beverly hills, we even went for a walk on Rodeo Dr., but didn't buy anything. We got into the Disney Main Headquarters at the Studio in Glendale and took a lot of pictures of us being tourists. We had a nice afternoon on San Amonica Pier and then drove to Malibu for a quick look and dinner overlooking the Pacific. Another moment that I spent wishing Betty was with me. The next day we drove to Venice Beach, and walked the famous waterfront with all the unique individuals that populate the area. It was windy so no bikini's or muscle bound body builders were out, but still a lot of people whom I think came west from New York. Then down to Anaheim to work on Monday.
Friday, I flew out to Florida, to spend the weekend with Betty, and had a good day at the Pet Fair, and a nice quiet lunch together before heading to the Bowl-a-Thon to meet the Downtown Team. I had my customary beer and cheered them on, but had other plans for dinner so we had to cut it short.
Betty and I drove up to Dave and Jo's house for dinner, and to critique their new kitchen. Betty was impressed, but I was blown away with what they had done. Betty had never seen it prior to the work getting done, and because I had the transformation was stunning. (see pictures on the link) I did get to see the rest of the Downtown Team at The Ale house one evening, and of course Chinese for lunch. It was really great seeing you all and knowing that we are still connected. The rest of the week flew by and before I knew what hit me, I was back on a plane, missing Betty again.
After a quick nap this morning, I emptied my suite case and put everything back in it's place, then headed out to walk in the bright sunshine and re-acquaint myself with the city. I was pleased that most of the trees had not started to sprout leaves or flowers yet, and those that had are holding their blossoms well. I took a couple of pictures of some of them and some flower beds that are being planted by others that are eager for spring. I was even more pleased to know that the best of the spring is due to come. I fear I will take too many pictures, the scenes are so inspiring. I walked quite a bit, had lunch in a sidewalk cafe' and strolled down to the Seine and watch the boats go by for a while. I came accross a soccer game and watched that for a few minutes, then headed back to my home for the next few months, ahh Paris in the spring.....I can't wait until Betty comes in April so I can share it with her.
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment