I was asked if there was a story behind the picture that I took of the tree growing out of the tombstone, and in fact there was a striking symbolism for me so I had to take the picture.
(to view the picture click on the Walk to Montemarte link to the right)
When I came upon this at Montmarte. I was walking along looking at all the crypts and tombs and suddenly looked up to see this site and was so caught off guard that I just stood there staring at this for a few minutes.
All I could think of was how powerful nature is and really how fragile and temporary we are. This unknown person's family had tried to alter nature by placing this stone slab on top of his resting place and placed another one as a monument to this persons life as a headstone. Whomever was in turned on this site, nourished the ground that produced new life, the tree.
Over time, the person and his family have returned to the earth, and the earth has spring new life, reclaiming the place, the person and the monument. Nature will win out, so we need to remember to take a moment and remember the power of nature and enjoy it's beauty and it's power.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Loved the pictures....looks like you are having a great time. Enjoy your day! ;-)
Must be busy in PARIS.... Haven't seen anything in the travel log lately.. Hope all is going well..
JAson
Post a Comment