Sunday, May 27, 2007

Good Morning,
Over the last week I have had the pleasure of having a friend visit Paris. It was a good visit, and for the most part the weather cooperated. It was nice having someone around to have dinner with and continue exploring the city.

While I was working, Carolyn visited museum's, Cathedrals and Chateaus. I walked her endlessly around the city, and caused her great pain for even though she is fit, and brought along six pairs of shoes, she soon found that the uneven surfaces, and hilly terraine rubbed her the wrong way, and it was surelly difficult to keep on her feet and move about the city. While the Metro system here in Paris is fantastic, it can't bring you right to the doorstep of every sight, and the many stairs leading up and down to the surface soon take their toll on legs and joints as well as the feet.

I will say that Carolyn was quite the trooper, often aquesing to walk the couple of metro stops to the next location ranther than taking the easy way out. In most cases, I believe, it was due to her knowing that I love to walk. She even climed the 200+ stairs to the top of the Panthion because she knew that I wanted to.

We had dinner together each night and talked about the city, the people and the art of Paris. It was nice to hear a fresh perspective. I found that I have started to become blind to the things around me. I find that I don't take as many pictures of flowers, as they are now everywhere. I walk quicker through the museums, as paintings and sculptures become just more art. I am not affected by the gold guilding on the gates and domes of the city. Having a friend to share the wonders of the city and to watch them discover the beauty of the parks, streets and buildings makes everything new again.

I travel home for a week in a few days and I know that I will see things there that have been overlooked by me for years. I will see them new again, and I will take the time to see the beauty. I encourage you all take the time to pause and see things as if they were new to you and marvel in their beauty.

No comments: