I always thought that the true measure of friendship was revealed at moving time. It is amazing how everyone you would count as being in your circle of friends suddenly have other plans whenever you have to have to move. Rarely are offers of assistance ever carried out. Most of the time you will find that it is the same few people that would be there no matter what. I wonder how many of them just couldn't come up with an explanation fast enough or felt they needed to pay you back for some prior efforts.
The other time that friends pop up is when they need something or they hear that you have won the lottery or something else on that line. It is rare to have a friend that just keeps in touch and is truly interested in being a good friend.
Recently my youngest sister died. It was very sudden and took our family several days just to realize that it was real. The normal verbal offers of support came pouring in, but what amazed me the most was the few close friends of individual members of the family showed up to share the service and help us share our grief. Several of my youngest sisters friends showed up to say their goodbyes, and that was expected.
On the Brighter Side
However, as I got up to the podium to speak about my little sister and say my goodbye's I became aware that there were several friends of mine who never even knew Loni, but came to show their support for Betty and I in our time of need. After the service, I met many more of my other family members friends who also came to support them. I was deeply touched by this show of support, and it showed me the true meaning of friendship.
Friendship make prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it.
Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC),
This quote helps remind us that friends are there to share the good and the bad. But the deeper message is that friends are there when you need them, not just when they need you. Being a true friend means knowing when to be there for someone. If you are ever in doubt about when to be there for someone, air on the side of being there.
Take a moment and call a friend that you haven't spoken to in a long time, see how they are doing, and let them know you will be there when they need you, that's what freinds are for. Oh and remind them to........always look on the bright side of life.
Have a great day my friends
Robert
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.
I am sorry I didn't read this earlier.. I am very sorry for your families loss. I know it must be very hard to take..
On the brighter side..I know EXACTLY what you mean about the friends thing.. After moving around now for 17 years and making new ones where ever we end up there are always ONLY 1 or 2 youcan COUNT ON when NEEDED..This EXTRA blog we have made will show youa couple of those we have now..Funny thing about it is, some guys at work started this "BFF" thing.. They would ask us about it..in HIGHSCHOOL or MYSPACE/texting terms BFF=best friends forever... Anyway, they started the little joke and we RAN with it.. Check it out.. bffproject.blogspot.com
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family !!!
Jason
Post a Comment